Friday, November 25, 2011

Building 60 gal tank advice needed?

I am converting my parents old 1985 Mitsubishi 36'; oak TV into a fish tank. I am trying to figure out what thickness glass I will need, the front and back will be 33';W x 26';H and it will be 16'; deep. Since it will be so tall, will I need to go up to 1/2'; glass or should 3/8'; do the trick?


I was also considering getting one sheet of 1/2'; for the front only, and finishing the rest in fiberglass for strength with a top layer of carbon fiber (since you can't really see the sides or back of the tank). I'm just not sure how this would effect the water in the tank. Would the epoxy resin be ok if I make sure it is fully cured before adding the water, or would a clear gel coat be better?Building 60 gal tank advice needed?
You really should go 1/2'; just because of the height (as soon as you went over 24'; you increased the need from 3/8';).


Fiberglass/carbon fiber sounds nice (but expensive and time consuming) and still needs to be sealed with an epoxy paint safe for potable water anyway... why not simply build it from marine grade plywood? Simpler to work with and can ';slide'; into the housing once the TV is gutted.





Try this site http://www.garf.org/Tank/BuildTank.asp to get the actual build ';cut list'; for that,or any other configuration.Building 60 gal tank advice needed?
http://www.reefbuilders.com/forums/reef-鈥?/a>





This site has a thread about building a 60 gallon tank, and is very specific about the materials needed. Hopefully it will be helpful, I have never built a tank myself. Sounds like a cool idea though.

No comments:

Post a Comment