Friday, November 25, 2011

Need advice for buying or building a trailer hitch for '93 accord.?

So heres the deal, I don't have much money to spend, and I really need to put a trailer hitch on my '93 honda accord. All I'll ever be pulling is a small trailer, probably never more than about 600 pounds total weight of the trailer and load.





Heres what makes it difficult though, my car is lowered almost 4 inches, and has an aftermarket exhaust. I frequently scrape my exhaust so I figure the whole package can't sit any lower than what the exhaust sits. Also, I want it so I can easily bolt it on and off, just when I need to use it. (I believe this is a possible design to make)





I was thinking about bolting together some steel tubing, and bolting it to where the little tiedown loops are currently bolted, but I was told by one person not to due to liability reasons. He said hitches must be done by a certified welder, otherwise if I'm ever in any accident with an uncertified hitch, I could get sued big time. (according to him).





Any advice how I can get a hitch on my car?Need advice for buying or building a trailer hitch for '93 accord.?
You need to check with an auto parts place to see if they make a ready made for that car, and if they don't, then a welding shop that fabricates hitches. They would custom weld one for you. As far as bolt on and unbolt goes, I don't think that is possible because you don't have a frame on the car. It is unibody, so there is no place to easily bolt one. You could get a ';hidden hitch'; brand hitch though, so you could take off the receiver portion and the rest would not be noticeable.Need advice for buying or building a trailer hitch for '93 accord.?
go to the auto parts store and try to locate an ';air bag'; or air shocks system that will raise the rear end of yo ride and premit the use of a trailer on yo car ------ buy the hitch at a U-haul place or the local boat company can direct you to a shop that will sell and install a hitch for you .... do not mess around with the liability factor on this hitch business ''''it's you responsibility to handle this correctly and not get sued';';';';';
I have a Honda Van and it sits pretty low to the ground. I needed a wheel chair mount put on the back of it. Before they could put the mount on the Van I had to take it and have a receiver hitch mounted to the Van. Where in the world was I going to go and have a receiver hitch mounted? The answer was I took it to U-haul and they mounted a receiver hitch under it. My cost out the door was $125. I will tell you I also have a pick-up truck and I use a trailer with it often. I haul my Golf Cart. I only tell you this because I drive and live on a street and I don't want you driving passed me on the highway with some sort of jury-rig trailer hitch. You aren't only dealing with your life but my families life also. In the best of circumstances things can and do happen but when you already send for Murphy it is going to happen. Get it done right, and don't take a chance of hurting yourself or even worse hurting some one else.





Note; Walter is talking about rear shocks that were known as HY-jackers, these were real popular in the 1970s but it is also a good Idea I just gave him a thumbs up
Trailer hitch on a lowered car that already scrapes the exhaust. Sounds like a stupid idea to me, but I'm just an auto technician from this dimension.

No comments:

Post a Comment