Friday, November 25, 2011

Does anyone have any advice on how to build a 3 season porch? I have a 13 by 16 foot deck to work with.?

The area is 8 feet 8 inches high against the house and I know that I need some sort of pitch for the roof. I wanted to frame it in with storm doors so that I could put in / take out the glass as necessary.Does anyone have any advice on how to build a 3 season porch? I have a 13 by 16 foot deck to work with.?
I think you need a conservatory type structure in upvc with triple polycarbonate roof french doors and a couple of large opening vents.Start with a concrete base and build a dwarf wall to keep costs down. When using polycarb roof ask for the bronze sort otherwise it gets to hot in your room. The concrete floor will store heat from the sunshine, and in the summer you can open your doors and vents (windows) for ventilation.Does anyone have any advice on how to build a 3 season porch? I have a 13 by 16 foot deck to work with.?
Which season are you skipping? My point is why not(in such a small space) heat %26amp; insulate-a 4 Season Room.
Go to Lowe's or Home Depot, tell them what you have to work with, they will be able to give you ideas.
I'd go with ';the swamp';on this one but I wouldn't do the 1 inch per foot as suggested by billy.That would not be steep enough.instead use the flat roof that drain in the rail./
as far as a pitch usually 1'; for every foot is good but you need to check with local codes...other then that walls on 2 sides and windows and door on the front....stud insulate and drywall.
Unless the roof you build has at least a 4 in 12 inch pitch it will have to be a membrane type roof. Code will not allow shingles applied to less than that because it will leak. But your first question should be what kind of support do I have for the deck? You will change the loads so dramatically that the FIRST proiority is to verify that the deck will carry the loads you intend to put on it. This will be determined by the footing size and depth, number of columns, column size etc. etc. --unless the deck is a cantilever off from the structure's floor system which entails a whole new set of questions. In any case the loads are measured in pounds per square foot and minimums are established by the building codes. These standards vary by region based on snow and wind loads and what the seismic rating is for your area. I Could tell you exactly how to build it if I had complete information about the existing structure, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment