Friday, November 25, 2011

I need some advice on building my first computer...?

So this is my first time delving into building a computer and I've done some research online as to what components I think would work for me... some based on price, other performance. Ultimately I'm looking for a machine that I can do a bit of multitasking on that will not creep along with the new Windows 7... I would like to be able to run photoshop and lightroom on it, but I'm not looking for a crazy 3d powerhouse... Most of the stuff I found online is geared towards gaming which I don't do a lot of anymore... Like I said, I have no experience whatsoever with this type of thing, I just think it will be a fun project and I will learn a lot. Here's the list of what I think I need... If you could help me by letting me know what isn't compatible or whatever or what you think might just be a better or cheaper option that would be great.





Here you go:





CASE - Antec Three Hundred Gaming Case


CPU - AMD Phenom II x4 955 Processor


MOTHERBOARD - MSI 790FX-GD70


MEMORY - Corsair TR3X6G1600C9 XMS3 6 GB 3 X 2


GRAPHICS - XFX Radeon HD 4890


OPTICAL - Lite On 22X SATA Lightscribe Internal


STORAGE - Intel X25M 80GB Mainstream Solid State Drive


POWER - Corsair TX CMPSU-750TX 750W


COOLER -Tuniq Tower 120 Universal CPU CoolerI need some advice on building my first computer...?
Ok, you've gone way too high-end for what you need. I can definitely cheapen it down for you because I was a computer parts salesman and tech expert at tigerdirect until September when university started.





1 - Why on earth do you need that CPU?


You'd be better off getting an Phenom II X3 710. It's still way more than enough for what you need and it saves you $140. It's also an AM3 chip so down the road when you want to upgrade to DDR3 (When it's worth it) you can transfer the CPU over. That's a HUGE advantage over the Intels that fit 775 sockets because the 775 is already obsolete and Intel-based motherboards don't tend to give you nearly as much for the same price. As far as processors go, Intel and AMD both make equally fine products at each price point. AMD has the advantage because of the better pricing on motherboards and the AM3 chip can still be used on your next motherboard unlike an Intel 775 chip.





2 - Why on earth do you need DDR3?


You've selected 6GB of Corsair XMS3 which is overclocking DDR3. DDR3 is only worth it for LGA1366/Intel X58 motherboards for i7 9xx CPUs because it runs in tri-channel mode. No AMD chip does that, nor is the difference all THAT big. You'd actually be ahead of the game with the extra 2GB of DDR2. I'd recommend the HP Business PC6400 DDR2-800 that can be bought from tigerdirect or compusa for $60 for 4GB. You'd end up paying $120 for 8GB although I'd start with 4 just to see how it goes and add the other 4 if you think you need it. That saves you $40 and gives you 2 extra GB.





3 - Seeing as the 790FX is perhaps the most advanced gaming Northbridge chipset around, unless you plan to be running 4 Radeons at some point, you don't need it. I'd recommend the ECS A780GM-A motherboard. Newegg lists it for $70 ($53 after mail-in-rebate). NOTE: I too, was drooling over the MSI 790FX-GD70 but I came to my senses and got the MSI K9A2 Platinum instead because I DO eventually plan to run 4 Radeons but I didn't need to spend the extra $100 for DDR3. Also, AM3 chips like the Phenom II X3 710 can still be used just fine in AM2+ motherboards like the A780GM-A.That saves you $95.





4 - A Radeon 4890? I'm a gamer and I am perfectly happy with a 4870. For what you need, there's no reason to get anything more expensive than the Radeon HD 3300 that the motherboard has built-in. Photoshop and Windows are just 2D graphics, even a 10 year old card with 16MB could do it and even running Windows 7 won't even be that big of a draw on a Radeon HD 3300 chipset. I think you'll probably get away with it just fine since it can also play games like WoW, SecondLife and things like that. It doesn't sound like you play Crysis. That saves you $200.





5 - Why on earth do you want an 80GB solid state drive? 80GB is nothing these days. Save your money and get a conventional 1000GB SATA drive, they're under $100 these days and they're currently almost impossible to fill. Also, the speed increase of the SSD is nothing you're going to need or notice. SSDs are currently function-specific. And you don't have the function that they are specific for. The Samsung Spinpoint is $80 from newegg and the cheapest 80GB SSD is $240. That saves you $160.





6 - You only need a 500W power supply, tops. The OCZ Mod X Stream 500W is only $60. That saves you $60.





7 - The stock CPU cooler that comes with the Phenom II X3 710 is more than sufficient. It's what I use on my Phenom II X4 940 and I play Crysis for god's sake! LOL That saves you $55.





8 - As for the case and all that, it's up to you. Any ATX case will work but I'd recommend one with a side fan slot just to be safe. Also, you'll want to get case fans, depending on what the case takes, I have a 120mm in front, another 120mm in the back and an 80mm in the side feeding my CPU directly. Works like a charm!





Ok, let's do the math...





$140+$40+$95+$200+$160+$60+$55 = $750 !!!!!!





If you follow my directions I'll have saved you $750+tax and will have a system that will feel blazingly fast and do everything you need it to and more. Remember that these days, $750 is an all-inclusive, week-long vacation for two to the Dominican Republic. Bon Voyage!





(Or it's a nice nest-egg to keep for car repairs, whatever you prefer..lol)I need some advice on building my first computer...?
%26gt;MEMORY - Corsair TR3X6G1600C9 XMS3 6 GB 3 X 2





You're supposed to get sticks of 2 or 4, not 3 sticks. 3 sticks are for triple channel -- you have a dual channel motherboard -- in order for dual channel to work, you need to fill either 2, 4 or 6 slots -- no odd numbers.





The 3 stick configuration is for Intel i7 motherboards, (X58), not for AM3 mobos.





%26gt;POWER - Corsair TX CMPSU-750TX 750W





ok.





%26gt;STORAGE - Intel X25M 80GB Mainstream Solid State Drive





This will be ok for your primary drive, but I recommend getting a secondary hard drive (conventional one, not solid state) for you to store your Documents and downloads in, since you don't need the uber fast access time for your infrequently used files.





Get a Western Digital Green (1 terabyte) and use it as backup storage. Relatively cheap for $80.





%26gt;MOTHERBOARD - MSI 790FX-GD70





Having used Crossfire cards before, I can tell you that having 4 cards is a bit impractical in terms of cooling and noise.





2 cards is enough. 4 cards is overkill. Just go for a mobo with 2 slots, you will never accumulate 4 cards.





Spend less on the mobo, spend more on the graphics card (get the Radeon 5870 card, it's worth getting if you can afford it).
As a suggestion..for your first PC Project..


Look for a USED--PC case..like a DELL Dimension case(metal)..


Take some time to find a free tower..


===


I use Intel Boxed products,,only..


Pentium D sounds perfect for what your describing..


===


Both Vista and Windows 7 require 1-GB of RAM(minimum)..


I would suggest 2-GBs of total RAM...@800MHz/


===


500-watt power supply..minimum..


I use a 600-watt PSU...it stays cooler..(doesn't work so hard)..


===


Motherboards come in two..sizes..


ATX...and..micro-ATX..


Useing a Pentium D Processor..should offer great selection in a motherboard..(flexability)..


===


I prefer a Western Digital HDD for System C:/drive@80-GBs/..sata


..useing a Internal Storage Drive=1-TB(sata)..Seagate/


===


FANS...


Use a REAR-exhaust fan..in addition to the CPU-cooling technology..


===


I also add a internal circulation fan..


===


Placing your Processor in its Socket can be easy..or it can be tricky..


Choose a good day..for building..


I clean my apartment before a BUILD--and I un-plug everything except for a single work light..


I cover the work surface with a clean towel..


..and I'm barefoot..on a solid floor..wearing my bathing trunks..(no static)..


===


That's the best I can tell..you.
  • natural facial
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment