Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Need advice on building a dog pen?

I am looking to relocate my dog pen. And I was wondering does anyone have any suggestions on what I could put on the bottom. Besides concrete or stepping stones. Something they can't dig up or move easily because my dogs are big diggers.


I was thinking of just taking chain link and putting it around the bottomon the grass and just letting the grass grow so that it will be harder for them to dig there.Need advice on building a dog pen?
You could always sink in the chain link about 18 inches below the ground. Hopefully the dogs will think it's bottomless and give up on trying to dig under it.





EDIT: To prevent the dogs from climbing out just put a roof on the pen. One of my friends has a couple rottweilers and sometimes keeps them in a large chin link pen that has a concrete floor and sturdy wooden roof.Need advice on building a dog pen?
We used pavers and set them in and locked them in with sand. You can do the same with brick. Easier than mortaring so a do-it-yourselfer can do it, looks nicer then concrete and holds up well. They use these frequently for driveways. Dogs can't dig them up either - they lock in nicely. They come in many colors and are non-slip and easy to clean.





I'd be concerned the dogs would catch a foot or pull out a toenail on the chain link and that the peeing would kill the grass.





There is also an artificial turf material you can get for runs but potentially it could be pulled up.
There's a reasonably heavy wire fencing we always called ';hardware cloth'; that would work the way you are thinking of with the chain link. That would be easier on their feet ( and yours) to walk on. I have the same problem. My dog digs under the fence and escapes. Even if I go around the perimeter with the hardware cloth that still leaves the gate into the yard for him to dig under. What to do there?
I would hate to be a dog who has to live on a concrete or rock surface ...especially when it's hot. So I would say go the grass route.
how about largeish rocks and some dog repelent there so they wont go digging there again
most breeders use river rock because it is easy for clean up and sanitation

No comments:

Post a Comment